Friday, February 6, 2009

Happy New...errrr....February!

Hellooooooooooooooo! Is anybody out theeeeeeeeeeere?

If anyone out there is still checking, I apologize for the absence. It's not that I've been too busy to blog, so I won't even attempt that excuse. The truth of the matter is that I haven't felt that I have much to blog ABOUT (and Bret has, legitimately, been too busy to blog, and you probably don't want to hear about the world of corporate tax and bar-studying anyway).

But all of that will change, my friends. Being, as I recently saw it put, "the opposite of employed," I have come to the realization that I should somehow enjoy this time. I mean, sure, I am applying and searching and generally soliciting my legal services for employment, but what I have decided to give up is the time spent fretting about it. Because I will find a job, and we are not starving, and it will do no good to worry. (In the words of a wise sort-of-US-Senator, "I'm good enough. I'm smart enough. And doggoneit, people like me!")

I have finished my college scrapbook that I started in June 2004. I'm slowly making progress in my "Books I've Been Wanting to Read" list, thanks in part to a newly-acquired Arlington Public Library System Card. I'm registered for a photography class that starts next week. And as for culinary pursuits, I've teamed up with my friend Carmen to "guest star" on her blog, Tasting Serendipity. I am hoping that will inspire me to cook more new and interesting things (maybe even actually use the shelf-full of cookbooks we've managed to acquire), and speak up about the restaurants we try (it is almost Restaurant Week, after all!).

As for Bret, pray for his soul. If you remember MY state of mind studying for the Colorado Bar last summer, imagine Bret working full-time at a brand new job and doing the same. Except in Virginia. A Commonwealth, with its silly little Commonwealth idiosyncracies. I wish I could unload part of his burden, but aside from caring for Elsa, keeping the house in order, and keeping him fed and watered, all I can do is reassure him that his suffering is finite.

The point is that we're back, folks. Or I'm back at least, and reporting that Bret is still alive and well. Well, alive, anyway. And I'm going to blog more. And you're going to read it. OK?

No comments: